Fashion Sole Mate Bookclub Discussion : The Woman I Wanted To Be, by Diane von Furstenberg


Happy New Year everyone! I hope you all got a chance to read this month's book. This month I listened to the book which was nice because I felt like I was having a nice long chat with Diane. I actually I have always been a big fan of Diane von Furstenberg's dresses, but now I am also a huge fan of her as a person after reading this book. What an inspiration she is to woman of all ages. Diane has managed to stay relevant in such a dynamic industry which is a great accomplishment. Early in the book you learn that Diane's mother was a Holocaust survivor and that she taught Diane to be a strong, self-sufficient woman. Although Diane married into a life of privilege, she was determined to make her mark in the business world. Her big break came with the design of the wrap dress. This single item, has propelled her name, into being a brand. Her career has had it's ups and downs, but she managed to keep re-inventing herself. Even today, she is brilliantly tapping into today's youth to make sure the brand succeeds going forward. Her TV reality show depicts her and her staff choosing a young girl to be her new "Brand Ambassador". I personally love some of the 70's and 80's references in the book. Did you know that Diane had a very successful cosmetic and fragrance line? I think I remember the fragrance, but not the make-up. She also had a successful run on the HSN, selling her clothing on television which I was not aware of.  I also loved how she was able to finally embrace her curly hair, and love herself as she was. I think we have all struggled with the standards of beauty and how we see ourselves in this world. Diane was smart enough to know that her uniqueness would help set her apart from the others in a good way. Personally, I enjoyed the whole book, but preferred her chapters in the book that were dedicated to building her brand. I was a bit confused by some of her choices in the romantic department. What did you think of Diane's story? What did you discover about her that you didn't already know? Did anything she do or say inspire you to become the woman you always wanted to be?


Labels: , , ,