Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe


Finding something that everyone at my house will eat is not always an easy task, but this chicken tortilla soup seems to be something that most people enjoy. There are many variations to the recipe. I tweak a recipe that my neighbor Vicki gave to me. I take as many short cuts as possible, I like easy. Here is my version:

Ingredients:
Oven Roasted Chicken Breast from your local grocery store
32 ounces of chicken broth
One can Rotel (spicy version, but get mild if you don't like it too spicy or use a cup of salsa)
Two cans of Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
One can of refried beans (omit this step if you like your soup more brothy)
One can corn, or use a cup or two of frozen corn
2 corn tortillas (shredded into small pieces) this also thicken broth, and can be omitted as well. 

To garnish - any or all below:
Sliced avocado
Tortilla chips
Shredded cheese
Sour Cream

Take the skin off the pre-cooked chicken breast and shred into pieces. Add the broth, chicken, Rotel, beans, corn and shredded tortillas to a large stock pot. Sometimes I use a can of white beans instead of one of the cans of black beans. If you want a more brothy soup, omit the refried beans and shredded tortillas. You can use cayenne pepper or pepper sauce to kick it up a notch. Cook over medium heat for approximately 1/2 hour stirring often. You may have to turn it down so it doesn't evaporate too much. Serve with shredded cheese and tortilla chips or any other condiments you may like. 

Labels: , , , , ,